Colour 3 column

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recycle Boys shirt

To make this shirt
My boys love puzzles, every single one of them, I wanted to do a shirt that I know they would love and would drive them crazy because they couldn't fix it.


Now you could do this shirt with any design I just love this shirt, I found them at Meijer for the younger two.  I wish they would grow with the boys but that is not how clothes work.  This one is a 12 month shirt, I still have another one that I get to play with.  yippee!


 

I took this puzzle, again, you could take any puzzle, as you can see the babies like to throw the pieces around. 
Take a few pieces, anyone you would like and put them on the back, that way you don't have to draw over the design and try to see the lines through the design.  I am using a fabric marker that washes away and most often fades in a couple of hours. 
Now I did this next step then thought I should have done it a little differently but hind sight is 20/20.  Either way it worked out just fine.  I cut the pieces out of the shirt then I put them back together and ironed the wonder under to it.  I assume ironing the wonder under to it and then cutting it out would work just as well. 

Then you take this stuff, which is called Wonder Under, important to know so when you go to the store at the last minute cause you thought you still had some at home but ran out (or misplaced it), the clerk won't look at you strangely.  This version is a light bond with the intent that you are going to re-enforce by sewing it on as well.  I use this because it it double sided and since the puzzle pieces are small and would bunch if you tried to wing it and the pins would be in the way.  There is a stronger version as well but I like to sew as well because I know my boys will try to pick the pieces off to put them in the right spots. 
Follow the directions on the piece of plastic, trust me if you do them wrong it really doesn't work right.  I read the directions every time I use it just in case I forgot from the last time. 
Take your shirt that you have picked out of your son's drawer because you realized that he has way too many shirts for one little boy, I decided to stick with the green because it ties into the recycle theme that I am going for. 
Decide how you want your pieces to go on the shirt, do you want to have it somewhat put together with a couple pieces out, or do you want it all put together or all apart?  Play around but always remember no matter how you do it, someone will always suggest the opposite way.  :) 
Take off the paper backing, it is time to commit to the spot.  Put your pieces into place and strike while the iron is hot. 
If you are  reusing a shirt, be sure to use a pressing cloth to cover the design so you don't melt it to your iron.  I couldn't find my pressing cloth so I used a piece of muslin, it worked just as well. I will say that I had to hold the iron longer then the recommended time in the directions because it was not adhering to the shirt.  I say go with your gut here and check often. 







And then take the advice of the employee at Joann's and cut the rest of your heat bond into page size pieces stick them in your binder that you know you have of projects you will do when you have time and put a copy of the directions so that you remember what it is and what it is for.  So you won't be searching at the last minute for what you thought you had to begin with. 
I posted this and then realized that I forgot to mention I sewed the pieces on the shirt, I have no pictures of the process because I didn't want anyone to see the horrendous mess on my sewing table.  I did it very slow and turned the wheel with my hand most of the time because the little peninsula shaped pieces make me nervous and I wanted it to look kinda nice.  I also don't have a close up of the stiching, but I used green thread because I wanted there to be a definition.
 Then you go and get this really goofy four year old and ask him to put on the shirt and come outside so you can take a picture of him in it.  Continue to snap away as he works on his hand modeling poses. 





This one is a quacking duck, do you see it? 

I Am Momma Hear Me Roar

2 comments:

  1. This is cute! And your son is adorable. Thank you for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable. I love this idea-- so creative! And I love the motif, too.

    ReplyDelete